Boosting your Immune System at Home
- April, 2020
- Sam Clavell
- Immune System, Nutrition
- Healthy Eating, Improved Immune System, Supplements
- 0 Comments
Coronavirus is causing fear, confusion, and sickness throughout the world. Most countries were deeply unprepared for a pandemic and have since placed orders on their citizens to stay at home and practice social distancing to protect those most at risk. While masks, gloves, and disinfectants play an extremely important role in keeping you and your family safe during these events you should also be thinking about your body’s immune system. Your immune system is the critical defense mechanism that protects you from viruses and infections. During times such as these, it’s important to take care of your body and boost your immunity in any way possible.
Immune Boosting Foods
Diet is one of the main factors that determines if our immune system is weak or strong. But don’t worry if your diet hasn’t been perfect up to this point, because there are some healthy foods you can start incorporating today.
- Sweet Potato
- These delicious vegetables are packed with nutrients including beta carotene, vitamin C and vitamin A, all of which are important building blocks for a healthy immune system.
- Oranges, grapefruit, lemons, and limes all have antibacterial and antiviral properties as well as a healthy dose of vitamin C. There is a reason why most immunity supplements incorporate oranges or some other type of citrus.
- Not only is spinach great for boosting immunity, but it’s also amazing for your overall health as well. Spinach is high in folate, magnesium, iron and vitamin C which all contribute to a healthy body and an optimal immune response.
- This herb is unpleasant to some, but it’s antibacterial and antiviral properties are difficult to argue with. It’s long been used to treat the symptoms of the common cold as well as respiratory infections.
Immune Boosting Supplements
Vitamin supplements provide our body with concentrated doses of nutrients that give us even more fuel with which to heal and improve. There are dozens of vitamins you can choose to boost your immunity, so we have chosen our three favorites that you can begin taking today.
- Vitamin C
- The main supplement you should be taking plenty of is vitamin C. This vitamin provides valuable support to the immune system and can ward off viruses and infections as well as help you recover more quickly if you are already sick. Vitamin C also promotes healthy skin which in turn protects you from harmful germs and bacteria.
- Vitamin D
- This vitamin has been shown through studies to promote immune response and protect against respiratory infections. High doses of vitamin D will also improve your mood and provide other benefits that are especially valuable during this season of social distancing and isolation.
- This mineral is actually involved directly in how white blood cells respond to infection. Zinc has been shown to dramatically increase immune response and reduce the length of a cold or other illness by as much as 30%. Taking Zinc is a great strategy to boost immunity, but make sure your dosage stays below 40 mg per day.
For recommendations on brands and dosages, you can always contact our team as LifeGiving Chiropractic.